Main activities of the design sector are:
- complex engineering in the sphere of mining and processing of potash, potash-magnesium ores, rock salt and non-metallic materials, development of the projects on expansion, reconstruction, technical modernization of ore dressing complexes;
- engineering of hydrotechnical constructions;
- development of protection measures for buildings and constructions in subsided area;
- engineering of environment protection objects (dust-gas-cleaning facilities, tailing and sludge dumps, landfills);
- engineering investigation and monitoring of buildings and constructions, development of design and estimate documentation on overhaul repair;
- designer supervision.
Mining laboratories carry out investigations on the issues of: mine flood protection; development of new processes and improvement of current processes of ore mining; mining works safety; safe underworking of industrial and civil structures; development of new processes and improvement of current processes of stowage; keeping permanent workings and entries in safe condition; providing optimal quality of ore which goes to dressing plants; creation of grinding and screening equipment for saliferous rocks; validation and development of normative documentation including on the use of mined out area of potash mines.
The institute has performed total more than 4400 research works.